KB3D Group Buy 1 - Filament Dry/Store/Print Cabinet
KB3D's first group buy features a 3.2 cubic foot filament drying and storage cabinet with integrated filament outlet ports.
KB3D Group Buy #1 - Filament Dry/Store/Print Cabinet
TOTAL GROUP BUY PARTICIPANTS = 24 -- Campaign succeeded! Quantity goal #2 reached!
Participants can expect updates via the email address associate with their order.
Introducing KB3D's first community group buy!
Our mission statement is to support special open-source hardware projects with partial and complete BOM's at affordable prices via bulk purchasing and in-house manufacturing.
For certain products however, community buying power can be the most powerful and effective. In these cases, we group buy!
See the bottom of this page for more details.
Group Buy Breakdown
Product Summary: Filament Dry/Store/Print Cabinet
Quantity goal (for campaign success): 10
Quantity goal (for additional savings): 20
Campaign Timeline: 4/15/21 - 5/14/21
Retail cost for 1 unit shipped: $1550.00USD
Group Buy cost for 1 unit (less shipping from KB3D): $474.99USD - Add this item to your cart to calculate shipping costs.
Discount Percentage = 69%
What it is:
Finally! A reasonably priced and economical solution for filament handling. This cabinet features a 1mm thick steel construction with 3.2 cubic feet of humidity controlled storage space. Simply set your desired relative humidity level (as low as <1%) and enjoy a reliable way to keep your filaments performing optimally with no potential for moisture absorption. Includes 8 filament outlet ports (4 top, 4 rear) and a customizable spool holder system for printing directly from the cabinet! These units are able to actively dry "wet" spools by achieving incredibly low relative humidity levels. They are amazingly cheap to keep running 24/7 and don't bake the filament or use vacuum to do their job.
Why we love it:
Fighting moisture and protecting expensive filament is a hassle. A lot of us use a combination of plastic bags, cereal containers, storage totes full of desiccant that need dried periodically, ETC. Other products that aim to solve the problem are more expensive, but their effectiveness is sometimes questionable - even at higher price points. This system is roomy, proven, and has a very low operating cost. It's foot print also makes it a perfect candidate to be used in conjunction with an extrusion built stand that your favorite printer can sit on. Some printers can even sit directly on top of the cabinet.
- --Room for 5 (1KG) filament spools on the adjustable spool holder. (Room for 2 additional spools underneath for storage)
- --Print right from the cabinet through high quality filament outlet ports.
- --Affordable to buy, and exponentially more affordable to run 24/7
- --No direct heat or vacuum = no stress or degradation of materials.
- --Investment protection. Specialty filaments are expensive. Keep them for years when stored properly.
- --Recovers to set humidity threshold in minutes after door opening/closing.
- --Use it as a printer stand! Get the look of the industrial printers and free up bench space.
Who suggested it:
Snargaloo is an active member and contributor on the Blackbox Toolchanger Discord. Learn more about Blackbox here
"""My first filament dryer was called ESun EBox. It cost me $85 with shipping. It would hold one spool of filament with ability to print while dry. It also had a scale for weighing remaining filament.
I would keep my filament in this box all the time. It had a small hot plate, a small fan, and a place to put some small bags of dessicant.
Without the desiccant bags, the humidity would not go below 75%. With the bags, I could get it down to 45%.
Which was too wet for Nylon.
This is when I switched to the dehydrator oven.
That cost me $130 with shipping.
It took over a week before the filament was below 15%.
Since the heat could never penetrate past the first few rows of filament, it could never dry the whole spool.
The dehydrator oven ended up costing me too much in electricity.
I read about these cabinets a couple of years ago. I just couldn't figure out how to get one. The operator would put all the open spools in this cabinet, and within 10 hours, they can be dried below 1%. The dehydrator oven couldn't do that in two weeks.
If I would turn off the dehydrator oven, the humidity would shoot back up within 12 hours. Then it would need another week to get it back to normal. All the while causing stress damage to the filament."""
|SD-90CA (From EDry) - Made in Taiwan
|90 Liters (3.2 cubic feet)
|LxWxH = 16.5 x 15.5 x 25.5 (inches)
|LxWxH - 15.75 x 15.5 x 22.5 (inches)
|Spool Holder Rod (Adjustable), 8x Outlet Plugs, 4x Outlet Fittings, Cabinet Lock Key
|Humidity Control Range
|1-20%RH (Relative Humidity)
|Return to 5%RH in less than 10 minutes; Return to 10% RH in less than 5 minutes. 1% RH Capable
|Humidity Control Design
|Automated desiccant charge/discharge - touch control panel operation - LCD panel display.
|Cabinet body design
|Cabinet body uses 1mm strengthen steel plate and 3mm tempered glass door.
AC110V+10V 50/60HZ OR European plug + Power supply.
Warranty: The de-humidification movement core and hygrometer have a one year warranty.
Group Buy Details-
The process looks like this:
1. KB3D establishes a relationship with a particular products manufacturer and sets a basic price structure on cost vs quantity.
2. Interested buyers safely and securely reserve units through KB3D at a fixed product cost.
3. After the group buy ordering window expires, we negotiate additional savings into the purchase order when quantities allow for it. The order is placed.
4. On arrival, we distribute the product to the community with affordable worldwide shipping.
Things to note:
1. Unless otherwise noted in special circumstances, the pricing shown on the group buy page is what you pay (Plus shipping to your location). We'll never require additional payments.
2. If a group buy is more successful than anticipated, we can often save even more than the pricing orders are placed at! The difference will always be refunded back to the buyer upon campaign completion.
3. If a group buy fails to meet its minimum quantity goal, 100% of the buyers money is returned. We'll take care of the credit card and PayPal fees associated.
4. Due to the nature of group buys, orders are non-refundable once placed - unless of course the group buy fails.
5. While we do our best to vet products and manufacturers before committing to group buys, any warranty issues will need to be taken to the manufacturer. We will always make sure that the products are warranted and supported. Further, we always join in on group buys. We'll be familiar with the product in case of technical support needs.
These campaigns are driven by you, the community.
We're proud to represent you. Group buy ideas come from the community - we simply facilitate them in a way that helps folks feel comfortable.
The more we buy, the more we save.
Share your commitment with your friends, fellow makers, and enthusiasts. The more successful a campaign becomes, the more cost is reduced. This way every single buyer has a reason to celebrate.